Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The smith rock trip (6 days)

This weekend from Friday to Wednesday, my family, the Bagnoli's, B-hops (Bryan Hopkins), Matt, the Henriquez's, and the Zappone's went to smith rock state park. We all left on Friday, and had to face the 7 hours 30 minute drive all the way down to Eagle Crest for a place to stay on the trip. I was half asleep when we pulled in the driveway, but I snapped out of it when I saw where we were going to stay for the 5 days. The place was practically a MANSION. The house had two big-screen TVs, 5 big bedrooms, a pool table, hot tub, an enormous kitchen, and lots more. I stayed up till about 1:30 a.m., but fell asleep as soon as I got into my bed.
SATURDAY: The next morning I woke up at 7:50, and played guitar hero for 20 minutes, but I had to eat breakfast and get all of stuff ready so I could go to smith. I rode with the Bagnoli's to Smith, and we waited for 10 minutes till the rest of the group showed up. The hike took 20 minutes, and we ended up starting right at this route called wedding day, this awesome 5.10c that was really close to Chain Reaction (a.k.a. famous knife edged arete). I got to lead the route, and the only actual scary part was the start. The first clip was far off the ground, but I got to it. Later on, I tried Heinous cling, this 5.12a, but I fell a move before it turned into 5.9. At about noon, B-hops led churning in the wake, this hard 5.13a. The guide book said that it was 5.12a to the 4th bolt, 5.12b to the fth, 5.12c to the 6th, 5.12d to the 7th,and 5.13a to the chains. I got on it on top rope, and my goal for Smith Rock was to red-point it. My first thought when I got lowered was 'this will take more than 4 days'. I tried it later on, but my fingertips were hurting so bad that I couldn't get past the 3 quick draw. All of us packed our stuff, and headed to our rental house.
SUNDAY: As usual, I had to get my stuff packed before 8:30 or I wouldn't be able to go. This time we stayed at the morning glory wall, and I led this route called morning sky. It was fun with lots of tech and jugs. then I did this lie back that was 5:11d, and it was called zebra seam. I had 1 fall on it. 30 minutes later, I was on churning. I worked on it longer, and I linked it, so I got every single move. Later on that day I got back on, and I did my best so far. 4 falls, all the way to the top on top rope.
MONDAY: Today I had a rest day, while everybody else (meaning Joseph, Tino, Bryan, dad, and Matt) went to Trout Creek to crack climb. I played outside a little, went to the eagle crest pool, played stripes and solids, and guitar hero and reading. the zappones also left today at 1:00 p.m.
TUESDAY: Today was the best day EVER. We went to the morning glory wall again, and I led this super awesome 5.10b that arked it's way up the wall. After I finished, I did Cool Ranch flavor, a 5.11a that I flashed. I rested for a while, then did Churning on the top rope that B-hops put up. It almost looked like I forgot what to do on it. After a while the moves came back to me, and I got up the route. After resting for 45 minutes, I got on it again, and I sent on top rope. When I was lowered, I thanked B-hops for the belay and ate my lunch and a luna bar.
1 hour later I was tied in for a lead burn for churning in the wake. Slowly I got up it. I would have to say that the hardest part was moving to the jug right below the anchors. After that I rested for a minute, then went left handed to this slopey crimp, then right hand to a horrible intermediate, then to another intermediate, then bumped to the finish. I STUCK THE FINISH OF THE ROUTE, CHURNING IN THE WAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B-hops lowered me then dad untied me because I was to pumped. I packed my bags and then dad came over and told me something that happened yesterday at trout creek. He said that when he was hicking down, he saw two glowing yellow eyes on the hillside, and in the car drive home he decided it was a couger (mountain lion) that was watching his group.
WEDNESDAY: Today sucked. I had to pack to get ready to leave, and the car drive wasn't that fun either. 8 hours of sitting still wouldn't be fun, even if I got to play jono's d.s. we got home at about 5:50, then unpacked, and mom orderderd pizza for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Drew, sounds like you had a super weekend with your family and friends. Do you feel the cougar was watching you? Congratulations on getting the 5.13a - what an accomplishment! BTW, did you get the cookies yet? Tell Jono and Sarah that I'm thinking about them too. Love, Gramma

    ReplyDelete