Sunday, November 15, 2009

the comp

Yesterday, Vertical World held an a.b.s local redpoint comp. At least 30 vertical world kids showed up, and we made about 1 sixth of the percentage of people that competed. the routes were good, and there were plenty of different grades to choose from. 1500 points was about v0-, 1700 points was v0, 1900 points was about vo+, 2300 points was about v2, and so on. The point value for the hardest route was 5000 points, and I have a good guess that it is about v10, and I didn't see anybody get it. This was my worst comp, partially because I was sick, but mostly because I climbed stupidly. By the end, I only had 5 routes, and I tried to warm up on a v5 (my guess) for my first route of competing. All of my routes were like v2's, or v4's, and I learned that 1, don't show up when you have a cold, and 2,warm up with easy routes and knock them out with harder routes.

2 comments:

  1. Sometime we learn more from our failures than from our successes. That's the way it is for me with tennis. Maybe your illness made it easier to think stupidly???? Love, Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, from your writeup, it may have been one of your best comps. Why? Not because of your score... but because you learned something (how not to climb stupidly) so you won't make the same mistake in a comp when it counts. You're an awesome kid, Drew. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete